There is nothing like homemade Granola. I love this recipe because it packs in a lot of good healthy ingredients and is low in sugar and oil – two ingredients many recipes use in excess but not needed. The secret is applesauce. The natural sweetness of the apples provides the sweet taste many of us crave. See the recipe below and you can view it on BigOven.com.
Homemade Nutty Granola
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup plain unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 cups rolled old fashioned oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup shopped pecans
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons chia seeds
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a small saucepan, warm brown sugar, the applesauce, honey, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon and oil over low heat.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except dried cranberries.
4. Add the applesauce mixture to the oat mixture, stirring until everything is evenly coated.
5. Spread the mixture onto two baking sheets. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola is a golden brown color.
6. Allow to cool completely and add the dried cranberries. Store in an airtight container.
Make this recipe your own. Beyond the oats you can add the ingredients you desire or have on hand. I often use pine nuts, walnuts and sometimes substitute raisins for the cranberries.
My favorite way to eat granola is with my morning yogurt and blueberries. What ways do you use granola?
Spaghetti Frittata: Breakfast or Supper
Frozen Banana Bites